We are seeking a Pastoral Associate for Children’s Ministry to help us actively engage our children and the children and families of the geographical parish of St. Martin’s in every aspect of the church’s community.
We are a community of Christian believers in a diverse, family neighbourhood, nourished by an accessible Anglo-Catholic tradition. We are looking for an individual who can draw on their faith and their experience to nurture a safe, friendly and welcoming environment that is grounded in the Good News that is found in Jesus Christ for the children and youth of our parish. The Pastoral Associate for Children’s Ministry will provide leadership in promoting and facilitating activities, programs and events that engage the children and youth in our church as well as in the wider community both on-line and in person.
St. Martin-in-the-Fields Anglican Church is:
A community of Christian believers in a diverse, family neighbourhood, nourished by an accessible Anglo-Catholic tradition. We have a sacramentally centred view of life and liturgy and we are seeking a Pastoral Associate for Children’s Ministry to help us actively engage our children and the children and families of the geographical parish of St. Martin’s in every aspect of the church’s community.
Pastoral Associate for Children’s Ministry (part time)
Term of Office:
- Two years, with possibility for renewal
Purposes of the position:
- Primarily: to ensure that the children who attend St. Martin’s are shaped and nurtured in the Good News that is found in Jesus Christ, in a safe, friendly, and welcoming environment.
- Secondarily: in line with the parish’s commitment to mission, and working with the Missional Team, welcome unchurched and de-churched families from the surrounding neighbourhood.
- infants to teens
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To help children grow in the Christian Faith, and support their formation in the Anglo-Catholic tradition.
- To nurture and grow the existing Children’s Ministry on Sunday mornings, all year round.
- To ensure the integration of our children in our common life through intergenerational activities by facilitating participation in liturgy through serving, reading, sharing crafts/teaching/events with the parish.
- Coordinate special events and activities (eg. Christmas pageant, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday events, parish picnic)
- To use a variety of mediums to engage children and youth, including in-person gatherings and online platforms.
- Support faith formation in the home with appropriate resources for parents and care-givers.
- To engage families in the geographical parish in the Gospel.
- Choose and implement Gospel-centered curriculum
- Organize the roster of teachers and volunteers
- Organize and maintain Children’s Ministry supplies and curriculum.
- Develop and manage the budget.
- Prepare report to Annual Vestry Meeting
- Maintain mailing/email list of existing parents and children
- Track and review patterns of attendance
- Establish and maintain protocols and procedures for safe and effective running of Children’s Ministry
- To ensure the appropriate set up of rooms and care of Children’s Ministry space
Promotion, Recruitment, Screening & Training:
- Recruit, train, resource and mentor teachers and volunteers
- Implement the Responsible Ministry: Screening in Faith initiative
- The Children’s Ministry Team – including Teachers and Nursery volunteers – meet regularly to support their efforts and address concerns.
- Rector and Churchwardens – keep informed of plans and concerns.
- Children and their parents – regular communication using traditional and online means
Missional Outreach into the Neighbourhood
- Missional listening: find out where God is already active in children’s ministry.
- Finding out who lives in the neighbourhood and how to meaningfully engage with them.
- Building relationships over time with new families and looking for what God is up to in their lives.
Skills, Experience and Qualities Required:
- A joyful and committed follower of Jesus Christ.
- Loves children and passionate about sharing the Gospel with them
- Experience working in a team environment
- Creative, energetic and flexible
- Sensitive pastoral abilities
- Experience in missional listening and outreach
- Familiar, or willing to become familiar, with the Anglo-Catholic tradition.
- Familiar, or willing to become familiar, with electronic communication tools, including email, social media and online platforms (eg. Zoom)
- Successful completion of the requirements for the Diocese of Toronto’s Responsibility Ministry: Screening in Faith policy for high-risk ministry.
- Theological education
- Teaching experience with children
- Music/drama/artistic ability
- Experience with children having diverse behavioural and cognitive needs
Support, Supervision, and Evaluation:
- Reports to the Rector
- Support is provided by the Rector and Children’s Ministry Team
- Evaluation occurs at regular intervals with the Rector and Churchwardens
Terms of work/service:
- 15 hours per week: include weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) and some evenings, beginning September 2021
- $20 per hour based on experience
- Appropriate vacation available
- Theological students welcome; scheduling flexible
Please apply to email@example.com with a covering letter and resumé by June 25, 2021